Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Do you have to go there?"

We left Amsterdam at about 7 in the morning to get to our flight to Dublin. I was so excited I could hardly sit still. After we were sent in circles to find Aer Lingus, we finally got ourselves checked in and our extra luggage “pre-paid.” Gotta love loopholes (or miscommunications), which save you money while traveling!

When clouds broke and I saw the green patches of land for the first time, I got this feeling of accomplishment that I have never felt before. Taxiing to the terminal made me teary eyed as I pondered my new home. I couldn’t stop smiling and shaking my parents on either side of me. The guy on the row across from us said, “Wow, someone’s sure excited.”

Little did I know, we were about to embark on a crazy journey from Dublin all the way out to Kenmare in County Kerry. Obstacle 1: driving on the left side of the road. Dad automatically went to the left side of the car and I kept saying, “Wrong side dad. Wrong side dad…” Dublin was a crazy trip. Everyone was moving so fast and the roads were so skinny that it didn’t seem possible for 2 cars to fit on it. After running over a few curbs and squeezing into parking spots, dad pulled it off.

Obstacle 2: getting the GPS to find us and find our way out of Dublin. After our British lady recalculated about 1500 times we got on our way. We didn’t know that the roads would be winding and flooding the entire trip to Kenmare. At one stop, we asked the lady the best way to get to Kenmare and she said, “Do you have to go there?” Everyone so far has been pretty nice but either doesn’t understand our question, our wording, or why in the world we’re going to where we say we are going. Silly Irish. Or silly Americans? I donno, but I am smitten by their accents.

Obstacle 3: finding a “toilet,” not a restroom or bathroom (because they don’t understand what that means). The whole while I was awake (probably half of the trip) I couldn’t stop staring at the scenery. I love the landscape and it was exactly what I was expecting! Rolling, green hills with sheep and stocky horses. So far, so good. I love this place and feel completely blessed to call this country home for 5 months! I can’t wait to finally be in Limerick tomorrow! But, we’ve got to be tourists first. We’re off to eat shepherds pie and tour the Ring of Kerry in the marnin.

Ps. My camera died and I slept the whole car ride...but I'm charging up and getting ready for lots of scenic pictures tomorrow! I can't wait... driving along the coast :) maybe we'll get some sunshine? But this is Ireland after all.

2 comments:

  1. I WANT TO BE WITH YOU IN IRELAND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your father was brave and should be commended for providing such a nice safe tour of Ireland

    ReplyDelete