Monday, January 11, 2010

I have been Amsterdammed.



We arrived in Amsterdam about 9 am local time. The flight wasn't too bad...even thought I was up for about 8 hours of it. Of course when we get here our hotel room isn't ready until 1. We drove around Amsterdam with Gijs and his wife (who are both super friendly & great hosts). We went to his canal apartment and then drove out to his country home, which is also on a canal and way fancy. We were trying to figure out something to do but Gijs told us on Sundays nothing is open BUT there were always ladies in the brothels who were ready to dance for you. Sweet.


Today I woke up not feeling too great. I decided to suck it up (meaning dad forced me to) and go do typical tourist things with mom and dad. First we went to Anne Frank's house which was about 300 feet from where we're staying. It was very ominous and surreal to be exactly where she was when she wrote and hid from the Nazis. It made me wanna cry that she died one month before the liberation. Of course I bought her diary and am going to start reading it today! I think I found a new role model.


After the Anne Frank Huis we went to the Van Gogh Museum. I love hearing Gijs say "Gogh." That'll never get old. Museums are boring and not very entertaining, but I actually didn't mind this one. Van Gogh was a crazy man who did crazy paintings. It was a bummer that we didn't get to see starry night. Guess I have to go to Japan to see that one.


On the way home, I saw naked ladies dancing in windows for the first time. My eyes are no longer virgins. They looked like they hadn't seen sun in a while and they definitely needed to put some layers on! They look out a window all day...don't they know it's snowing outside? I have been amsterdammed.


I'm excited (kind of) for dinner tonight. We're going to eat Indonesian food... I think I might play the "I don't eat" card and just drink some Heineken. I learned that it's Dutch beer... man, where would I be if I didn't travel the world?!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I usually don't like musuems much either, but I liked the Van Gogh Musuem. :) and Anne Frank's house was pretty neat... crazy actually. ENJOY YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! This is Kim K. from API Texas. It looks like you're having a great time so far! Keep the updates coming - it is certainly fun for us back in the states to follow our students' adventures. (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. your parents are so good looking- and young too!

    ReplyDelete